30 Min Meals: One Pot Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls
One Pot Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls
Cabbage rolls are a very common dish in Russian culture. I've seen my mother in law make it so many times and it has alway been so delicious. However, making cabbage rolls the traditional Russian way is waaaay too time consuming. With two little babies, I have very little time to spend in the kitchen.
To make this dish much simpler, I dump all in the ingredients for the cabbage rolls into one pot! This method takes me less than 30 minutes to make this entire meal from scratch- without sacrificing the taste!
For a while, I thought I invented the unstuffed cabbage rolls until one day my friend told me she found a similar recipe on Pinterest. I guess I am not the only busy mama looking to take shortcuts in the kitchen!
In most of my recipes, I try to make the dish as healthy as possible. Typically, cabbage rolls are made with ground beef and/or pork. Here, I used ground turkey to limit the fat intake. I also used yogurt instead of sour cream to give it some extra protein while reducing the fat content.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/2 of medium onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp oregano (can sub with marjoram)
- 1 cup mariana sauce (or tomato sauce)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup of chicken broth (can sub with beef broth)
- 2 tbsp of dried cranberries (or any dried fruit)
- 1/2 of medium cabbage
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of salt (add to your liking)
- Black pepper
- Yogurt (or sour cream)
- Heat Dutch oven with olive oil on medium heat
- Saute garlic and onions for 2 minutes
- Add ground turkey and cook until meat turns golden brown
- Season meat with salt, pepper and oregano
- Add marinara sauce, water and chicken broth
- Cut up cabbage into smaller piece and toss into Dutch oven
- Simmer on low for 15 minutes
- Garnish with cilantro
- Add some yogurt (or sour cream) and/or rice or quinoa if desire